The start of a new year is often looked at as a great time to make changes in life, be it to lose weight, explore hobbies, stop smoking, or spend more time with family. January finds gyms packed with people determined to meet goals. A few weeks later, not so much. So how do we achieve the grand goals we set for ourselves? The health-conscious foodies at “Eat This, Not That” have a few tips.
- Set specific goals rather than broad ones. Don’t say you want to lose weight. Instead, set a goal to lose 5 pounds in 6 weeks.
- Get more sleep – Lack of sleep can contribute to an increase in appetite and make it harder to lose weight.
- Sign up – Sign up for a 5K training program, a wellness class, or a gym. Check out options in your area to select one that is right for you. Many gyms and classes will offer a free class or trial membership period. Once you decide, make going part of your regular routine. Go on the way to/from home or work and pack your workout bag in advance.
- Clean up your diet – A healthy balanced diet including protein, fiber and healthy fats will help you feel full and avoid the sweets. Start small (e.g. add a new vegetable into your weekly menu) rather than drastic changes that are unreasonable for long term. Avoid the bloating and weight gain associated with juices, sodas and alcohol by drinking water instead.
- Unplug and de-stress – Spend time each day away from technology. This can help with both stress levels and sleep quality.
Don’t be a statistic when it comes to following through with your health and wellness goals for 2018! Incorporate these nifty tips into your goal setting to set yourself up for success.
SOURCE: “17 fool-proof ways to stick to your New Year’s resolutions” posted on msn.com, originally appeared in Eat This, Not That!