Your Posture “ACE” How Awareness, Control & Environment Impact Posture
Posture Month is an annual reminder to find out how your posture changed over the last year… for better or for worse.
From workplace warriors to aging boomers who want to stay active, there’s confusion about what’s posture-smart, what’s a gimmick, and what’s actionable.
Find out how you stack up with a posture assessment. Take action to improve posture. Find out about new tools that help maintain strong posture, and get an expert view of others that might be a waste of time (and money).
ACE Your Posture
Awareness – Forget good or bad. Posture is strong or weak, and there’s always a path to improvement. A quick posture check is an annual must-do.
Control – Strong posture helps you to look your best and move without pain. A few minutes a day of posture exercise is all you need to improve your posture.
Environment – To maintain great posture create a posture-smart environment to put an end to bad habits! Easy fixes and new posture tech makes it easy.
Our habits at work, when we exercise and at play shape our body. Especially as we spend more time hunched over tablets and phones texting and surfing, it’s smart to start being aware of the health impact of our habits.
Studies show our posture can have a dramatic impact on health, so see how you stack up with a posture assessment. Then, strengthen how you stand, sit and live.
Did You Know?
- College students are cell-phone addicts, spending 8-10 hours a day on their phones creating neck pain and loss of mobility.[i]
- 1 out of 4 adults in America have suffered back pain in the past three months![ii]
- People who spend 12 hours or more per day seated are at greater risk for diabetes, heart disease, and life-threatening falls.[iii]
- 7.6 million adults are disabled with back pain [iv]
…and poor hunched over posture makes you look old!
Core strength and great balance are needed for strong posture. It can be the difference between moving with confidence and being unstable risking injury.
Strong posture helps you to look your best and move without pain.
Did You Know?
- Standing up means using 640 muscles to balance 206 bones while not pinching 45 miles of nerves or 60,000 miles of blood vessels.
- People with chronic back pain control their posture and balance differently…even when they’re having good days or taking pain-drugs.[i]Exercising with focused attention on posture control can improve function, motion, confidence and reduce pain.[ii]
- 1 in 3 adults over 65 fall every year[iii]
- Strengthening your balance to significantly reduce the risk of a fall[iv]
Are your home, work and exercise environments optimized for your body? Design your posture environment to align each PostureZone® and put an end to bad habits!
Did You Know?
People sit an average of 13 hours a day[i], sleep an average of 7 hours a day,[ii] which leaves only 4 hours a day to be active.
At Work – Sit strong, but not too long. Sitting folds your body restricting breathing and circulation, impacting health nearly as much as smoking![iii]
When you must sit, choose a chair that encourages erect posture. Try a seat support or wedge that supports from beneath by gently tilting the hips forward. Set a reminder on your phone or computer to take frequent movement breaks.
SOURCE: Your Posture “ACE” by Dr. Steven Weiniger. Learn more at posturemonth.org